In the past Jesolo was a lagoon sparkled with small islands. The bigger island was called by the Romans Equillium: it was inhabited initially by Paleoveneti, well known as horse breeders, hence the aforementioned name. They took advantage of the aid of Rome to ward off the threatening Galli and, in exchange of protection they allowed them to settle in the today called Veneto. Therefore, the Romans colonized these lands, building roads, bridges, villages and dividing the arable land into lots and they made the first land reclamation and water containment
With the collapse of the Empire the Barbarians invaded the plains, and the inhabitants of the cities run away to the nearby lagoons: in particular the inhabitants of Oderzo founded Eraclea on the island Melidissa and Jesolo on the island Equilio.
Due to its location Jesolo found itself the center of maritime trade of the Northern Adriatic area.Protected by the lagoon, the city could develop in a quietly until it reach the dignity of an Episcopal city. The wars, a tragic flood of the Sile and the invasion of the Franks caused the decay of the flourishing port of Jesolo. The situation degenerated gradually and at the end of the fifteenth century Jesolo was reduced to a few houses, period when the nobleman Soranzo provided to build a a church dedicated to St. John the Baptist and a parish to remedy the lack of churches.
The village Cavazuccherina was built around the church, and to promote the area, the Republic of Venice made several works of remediation.
Cavazuccherina survived for several centuries, but managed to rise with dignity as independent municipality only with Napoleon (1806).
Chased Napoleon, the Austrians formed a consortium to support the improvement of land around the lagoon, now reduced to swamp: thus was born the Consortium Passarella.
During the First World War, once again, Cavazuccherina was wounded and its population evacuated but, with the arrival of peace reconstruction came early. The “Great Land Reclamation Works” started again Between 1920 and 1930, the cultivation of wheat, corn, sugar beet, fruit trees and vineyards were introduced.
In 1930 the town was renamed with the ancient name of Jesolo, and from 1936 the resorts of Marina Bassa and the Beach were named Lido di Jesolo. The first establishments for heliotherapy were built and the early 30 hotels and first restaurants date back to the 30ies.
Today Jesolo is known as a seaside resort and for being the first Italian city with a 15 km extended beach. The tourist can rely on so many facilities including hotels, tourist residences, apartments , campsites and recreational oportunities
Do not forget the artistic and natural beauty of Jesolo with the beautiful fishing lakes, inhabited by rare wildlife, and so-called Ancient Walls, a must for those who are interested in art and archeology.